Registering to vote if you are homeless

You can exercise your right to vote in the UK, regardless of your housing situation, even if you do not have a fixed address. It’s important to ensure that your voice is heard in the democratic process.

Registering Without an Address:

When you register to vote, you’ll be asked for an address. If you’re homeless or do not have a fixed address, you can still register by providing an address where you spend a substantial part of your time or a location where you can receive correspondence. This could be:

  • A shelter or hostel where you stay.
  • The address of a friend or relative who allows you to use it for voter registration.
  • A day centre or outreach service that you use.

Registration and ID:

It’s quick and easy to register online as long as you know your National Insurance number and date of birth. If you can’t provide your NI number and date of birth you may have to contact your electoral registration office.

  • First, make sure you are eligible to vote.
  • You must be 18 or over to vote in UK parliamentary elections and local elections in England and Northern Ireland, and 16+ in Wales and Scotland.
  • A citizen of another country living in Scotland or Wales who has permission to enter or to stay in the UK, or who does not need permission.
  • A Commonwealth citizen who has permission to enter or stay in the UK, or who does not need permission.
  • You can register to vote online or via a paper form, in some circumstances you can also register to vote anonymously.

What ID is accepted to vote under the new rules?:

Please note that your ID must be valid and look like you, and it must be issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country. You can find an acceptable list of ID here.

Can I still vote if I do not have ID?

Yes you can still vote. Find out more here.

Using a Declaration of Local Connection:

If you don’t have a fixed address, you can still register to vote by filling out a ‘Declaration of Local Connection’ form. This form is available from your local Electoral Registration Office. It allows you to register based on where you spend a significant amount of time, such as sleeping rough or using local services. You will need to provide details about where you usually reside and why you consider yourself to be connected to that area.

Contact Your Local Electoral Registration Office:

Reach out to your local Electoral Registration Office for guidance and assistance in registering to vote without a fixed address. They can provide you with the necessary forms and help you through the registration process.

Stay Informed:

Keep track of your registration status and make sure to update your registration if your circumstances change, such as finding permanent housing or moving to a different area.